Turns out I miscalculated the thickness of my epoxy layer. I’d figured my quarter-inch of marine ply, plus my eighth inch veneer, plus my epoxy would get me very near the half-inch thickness of the original dash. But not quite. So I had to make the dash a bit thicker in order for its edges to be able to take the screws and tacks that will hold the steel trim to it.
Tried for an eighth-inch sheet but the Despot had no hardwoods in sheets like that and I don’t think a cardboard/pegboard type material will hold up. Ended up with a sheet of quarter inch birch for $9. Glued my existing mess to it & let it set overnight.
The thing was starting to taco just a bit when I was sanding it, so I put more weight on it and set it on a sheet that wants to curl the other way.
While the epoxy was setting I started cleaning up the old chrome trim. Looks kinda dodgy, I know. This is going to take some doing–but don’t forget, none of Bridget’s chrome bits are all that natty. I would not want to outshine the rest of the car too obviously.
Next day I uncovered the dash and trimmed the edges. One of my mosaic pieces detached itself in that process. I carried on. Glued it back and set it with clamps. Also screwed the dash to my work table to keep it from curling. The thickness is now just a little more than 9/16-inch; a sixteenth more than the stock dash. I can live with that–though I will have to seal that bottom bit of plywood much more thoroughly than I had planned for the marine ply. Next: the dreaded glovebox cut.