I spent a couple hours radiussing the front transmission mount and grinding off the old welds, trying to find the 7/8 of an inch I need to locate the transmission where it needs to be in a basically stock way.
Unfortunately, upon mocking the assembly up. I discovered that I still had more than half an inch to go.
So I have another idea.
Based on this nifty mid-mount, my version will be a tad narrower and attach on either side with a swaybar bushing or two. This is the new theory, anyway.
To get there I must finish the mount, then fab up a “tab” on either side. Since I already plan to slide a 1 x 1-inch steel box tube into the existing subframe, and then extend that frame forward six feet or more using 1.5 x 3/4-inch C-channel, I’ll add those tabs to that job.
Ordering the metal right about now.