Been sick for a week now & not very motivated to go out in the cold garage. Daytime temps in the teens have not helped matters.
Even so, today I made some progress in the hour and a half I allotted myself. I’ve got all the parts for the custom front transmission mount made now, and rough-fitted together. Here they are.
These 1.5-inch angle pieces will be welded to some 1-inch box that will extend from the 1.5-inch square tube subframe that BCW made for the kit. The 1-inch square tubes fit inside the 1.5-inch more loosely than I had calculated, which is bad–cause it means they will need shimming and lack perfect rigidity. But it is good because: adjustable.
I bought a single swaybar endlink for a mid 1980s GM car in order get the needed rubber biscuits to make the mounts.
Shorter (3-inch) grade 5 cap screws, fine thread.
Then just a matter of lining everything up and drilling the holes….
All together it looks like it will work:
Next up: some threaded rod that I can bend to make braces connecting this to the old cast transmission mounting bung and make it a bit stronger. Probably not needed but it doesn’t hurt to overdo things.
Then final assembly and welding.
I have a couple of long sheet metal screws which I might use to screw the angle bits to the 1-inch square tube–and extend up into the frame horns to hold it all steady. Seems like doing that might allow a good welder (as opposed to me) to weld it all together with everything assembled. I’ll talk to Mike at the muffler shop about this.
Alternatively, I could just mark it and weld the pieces together myself, then reassemble. I kind of want to do that, because I’m itching to burn some wire.
But I feel like I’d screw it up and have to start over.