+radiator support, and all pipes (+heater)(+fan shroud)
+Clutch and accelerator cable
+fuel line install (and swirl tank finals, fuel tank fix, etc)
+a few welds (Trans mount finals, tunnel, etc)
+reinstall interior, fix stuff I cut up
After this weekend I think I’m going to shoot for “towable.” I got the gas tank squared away, but that success was counterbalanced by a lot of not-success.
Good news first: new wider spigot installed and O-ringed where the old gasket had turned to powder. People tell me there is no such gasket but my tank fitting is mighty loose without one.
Mike at the muffler shop says he’s ready to do my pipes–just get the car there. And while he was telling me that he fabbed up a rough intake out of 2 1/2-inch exhaust pipe. Said mark it for cuts and orient it for welding and then gave it to me for nothing. This took all of 10 minutes.
But I did not get Bridget quite ready to tow to National Budget muffler. I also had other setbacks.
I ruined my bowden tube looking to shorten it. There really is not way to make a bowden tube shorter. I should’ve left it alone.
The story there is prosaic. Because I set my whole transaxle forward 1.2 inches or so, my clutch cable needs to be about that much shorter, and the bowden tube–bless its little spring steel heart–ought to be likewise.
And turns out there are several different lengths of VW bowden tubes in the catalogue.
But unfortunately, Bridget already has the shortest one. Dang.
I ordered a new one, and a new clutch cable since the old one was starting to fray. It looks like there are two ways to get the right bend in the tube: 1. Fabricate a new bracket for the back part–the part that bolts to the side cover–with a one-inch stretch. Or 2. Cut an inch off the “hard line” clutch cable tube that emerges from the tunnel just atop of the torsion tube. That looks like the easier route. I could maybe cut that nice and neat with my tubing cutter, but I’m worried it’s maybe flared or made thicker in its final inch so as to be reinforced where it fits into the bowden tube. So.
Also found a mess of rust up under the frame head. The PO had glassed everything over but some of this glass is coming loose now and under it is, well, nothing. Gonna be pretty embarrassing when I take this mess to the muffler shop for tubes. Those boys gonna laugh hard.
Maybe they can fix it though: looks like less glass on the front area than the rest of the pan. If they can grind it off maybe they can weld some metal back in there. Maybe I don’t need to buy a whole new frame head, etc…
Also, while messing with the clutch cable and etc. I also noticed that the engine is on wrong yet again. I can move the throwout bearing arm easily by hand, same as last time. This means something is not right–the pressure plate ought to make that thing all but impossible to move. No idea why this could be. I aligned all the clutch parts with the align tool. I took out the thing that screwed me up last time. The engine seemed to go on right. . .
So now the engine has to come back out and go back in again before I can take the car to the muffler shop.
My guy says he can do it this week if I can get it there.