Shiels sent my wires back and they look purty. Everything is as promised, cleaned, neatly wrapped and labeled. He included an instruction sheet with every pin on the ECU labeled as well, in case I need to do anything different with it later.
I had hoped to hook all that up this weekend and maybe try to start the engine but then I remembered I still had no fuel lines. And so I got to work cutting, bending and flaring those to make it right.
Then I remembered I still had to weld up the holes in the tunnel where the heat controls and the e-brake used to be. But first I had to push the car out of the way so I could sweep the water that covered the floor in last week’s deluge.
Then put in the fuel lines with some new clips I got from McMaster-Carr.
There was a hole in the ‘glass the PO designed for use with the air-cooled heater system. I decided to use the stock Suby grommet, but had to make a new fiberglass “plate” since the earlier round hole wasn’t workable. I’ll rivet that down neat later.
I then went to the rubber hose. I put my cheesy swirl tank in place using an old VW coil bracket. It looks right, but I’m not going to plumb it into the fuel system just yet. Instead I went from the tank fall to the new pump, from that to the new filter and from there to the line into the injection rail. The return line goes straight back to the tank.
This setup should work just fine unless I try to auto-cross the car on less than a quarter tank.
I buttoned it up after taking this picture–the diamond plate is in place and the filter is mounted to the inside of it.
Then I attached the CV joints to the transmission in preparation for its trip to the muffler shop–now a week late. If Mike can make the cooling lines and the exhaust by Thursday we’ll have a real shot of starting her over the weekend.
But there’s still lots to do. I need the soft lines for the cooling system on the driver’s side in the back. Is till need to make the brackets to hold the radiator and fan and fan shroud. I’ve not finished up my air intake yet. There’s wiring. And the clutch is going to be interesting. I killed the old Bowden tube last week trying to shorten it (this cannot be done). I have a new one but need to make it feel an inch shorter.
And I still need to fab-up my throttle cable.