Finalling the Radiator mounts, trying the wires

By mid May I had the wires back and only needed to get my radiator squared away nicely before I ran out of excuses not to try to get the car running.

I ended up using an aluminum angle iron–bent slightly with help from a little torch, to get the top of the rad mounted solid. I’m kind of proud of this.

IMG_4456 IMG_4452

IMG_4453IMG_4454IMG_4455The bolts are captured. They came off a treadmill I’ve been cannibalizing for a few years.

The original Suby fan fit pretty well. I made a couple of steel brackets and bolted them in with the existing radiator shroud bolts. There is an L on them and captive nuts for the fan housing. It all fits tight and looks pretty decent, say so myself.

IMG_4456For the shroud, I bought a $6 Harbor Freight mixing tub because the dimensions are close to right. Here it is set in:

IMG_4460I’m sure I could make this work, but looking at it, I think I’m going to end up making an aluminum plate shroud to deflect air down and out the bottom. It would leave more room for cargo and seal better, I think. And also it would look way cooler. More on that later.

With the rad mounts done, I turned my attention to the wiring harness Tom Shiels made for me. My idea–this was a few weeks ago, Memorial Day Weekend–was to get the engine to fire and run, just for a few seconds, as a proof of concept before the final pipe work was done at the muffler shop.

I had already taken an couple of after-work evenings and made the “Wheel of Death” speed sensor and bracket. Here’s how those turned out:

IMG_4431 IMG_4434 IMG_4436 IMG_4437So that’s done, pretty much. (I took the wheel and bracket off and painted them with wheel paint–silver, because I could not find the black epoxy paint I thought I had).

Anyway, it was time to hook up the wires and fire her up. I started by putting the MAF on the intake.IMG_4464

Then I plugged in all the plugs from the wire harness to the engine.

IMG_4465

The white wires got ring connectors and were run to the starter lug, along with the battery and the key switch. I could now turn the starter over–which I did.

The engine cranks convincingly.

Next I looked for the loose wires and found the one marked Ignition On. That’s supposed to get keyed power. I twisted that to one of the lose wires from the old harness that lights my test light when I turn the key on. Then I wired the one marked “fuel pump” to my fuel pump hot wire. I turned the key on and expected to hear the fuel pump whir to life.

It did not.

So I unhitched the fuel pump wire and tried running it straight off the battery. Oh yeah, it works.

Tried it again. no. Tried it reverse-pole. no. Checked with Shiels. he says + to pump, so put it back that way. No. Tried the battery again. Works. Hooked it up again and turned the key. No go.

So I took a break.

Had a brainwave: ground the box! The ECU was bolted to the chassis in the Subaru.

I ran a ground wire to a screw on the ECU and tried again.

Nothing.

IMG_4466And so there we left it. I dropped the car off at the muffler shop on May 27.

Advertisements

About stuntmidget

I'm a poor mechanic and general wisenheimer. I love old cars and the stories behind them, true or not.
This entry was posted in Improvements and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s