Done enough

So two cans of paint doesn’t quite cover a hood, fender and bumper cover, so I masked off part of the bumper and made do. Worked from about 10 a.m. until 5:30 today minus a half hour for lunch, got the truck painted and reassembled including the inner fender mud guard. The truck is overdue for an oil change. One of the belt is squealing awfully–both of these things were on my to-do list when I crashed.

Here’s how it’s gone over the past week.

Paint arrives.

 

IMG_5387Yesterday we had company, so I did nothing. Today the temp was heading for the low 60s, so I read the paint can. Said sand with 600 grit. I had 400. I had 800. I went to autozone for some 600, plus some masking tape.

Then it was time for a wet sand. IMG_5390 IMG_5391I pulled the flare off the old fender and did a quick sand and thinner wipe down on it as well, then shot it with the new paint.

IMG_5392

 

Encouraged, I shot the inside of the fender lip, the underside, and the back edge of the hood. I also shot the bent metal underneath it, hoping to stave off rust.

IMG_5393 IMG_5394 IMG_5395

 

Masking. . .

IMG_5396Painting . . . IMG_5399 IMG_5400 IMG_5398This paint covered pretty well with minimal drips. If I had bought three cans I’d have made it.

Then it was into clear. This is a two-part spray can with a big warning on the label. IMG_5402 IMG_5403Fortunately my wife has the requisite respirator, which I borrowed.

The clear went on good for about half a hood, then the trigger handle I bought twisted a little and I got a bunch of drips. Dang!

Then I screwed up and munched my cardboard windshield mask into the job too, messing up the last inch of the back of the hood. Double-dang!

IMG_5404

Fortunately, the rest came out pretty decent. I can live with a few drips on my 13-year-old truck.

IMG_5405 IMG_5406After that–details. Don’t forget the front plate!

IMG_5407I re-installed the inner fender/much guards.

IMG_5408 IMG_5409They no longer fit perfect because the metal they’re plastic-riveted to is very smuched. But you need to be kneeling in the wheel well to notice that.

I had to make all the plastic rivet holes a little bigger to work the rivets I bought. They’re supposed to be Nissan bumper cover rivets, but they would not go through any of the holes, and I couldn’t get anything right at the Auto Zone. Still: not too shabby for a totaled truck!

IMG_5411

Here’s how she looks on the street. This is her bad side:

IMG_5414The front:

IMG_5415But for the drips on the hood and the missing paint on the bumper cover . . .

IMG_5417It’s like nothing ever happened.

IMG_5276IMG_5419

 

Total time in: 30 1/2 hours. Total money spent: $1,025.

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

About stuntmidget

I'm a poor mechanic and general wisenheimer. I love old cars and the stories behind them, true or not.
This entry was posted in Fixes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Done enough

  1. billnparts says:

    I like the black bumper. It’s a nice contrast. Nice work.

    Bill Ascheman

    >

  2. stuntmidget says:

    Yes! If I had had time to think ahead I’d have left the bumper all black and painted the flares to match that. But it’s not bad for contingent styling.

  3. Pingback: Hunt Valley Horsepower | bridgetmgtd

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s