So after a long week at work which allowed no evening car play, I finally got the panels epoxied up on Friday night. I cut a new inner fender piece as well and smeared it with epoxy where it meets the outer panel. They went on pretty good, and to my surprise, I was able to back the screws out the next morning. Here’s how it looked after a few minutes with the grinder:
Panel match wasn’t even bad, considering I was using a Genuine Nissan Truck fender on the back of this Toyota.
Nothing a little Bondo won’t fix. First, though, I wanted to restore the inner fender to stock-like condition (allowing for the three self-tapping sheet metal screws I left in there). The original undercoating seems to be a two-part concoction of white caulk with black undercoat on top.
A little painter’s caulk, et voila!
While that was drying I mixed up the Bondo. (By the way, all this time I had a propane heater running six feet from the car, as the outside temps were in the low 40s. Inside –at least in the immediate work area–we had mid 60s or better).
And so it went: Bondo–shaper–straight-edge (which I should have consulted earlier in this process, btw)–more Bondo–shaper again–palm sander–hand sanding. All day Saturday.
By the end of Saturday I still needed more Bondo. By the end of Sunday I’d got down to 120 grit and the shape was getting close.
I moved on to primer. . .
A bit more sanding and I shot another coat of primer. And we left it there.