Using the Four-Post Lift

The lift is already paying dividends. On Saturday I backed the truck up onto it and hoisted her up to change the oil. I’m not sure I need to lift the truck to do this—I can crawl under and reach the drain plug without jacking it up—but it was nice to be able to sit underneath and have a look at things.

The downside: getting the filter off is still a hassle. The Frontier requires one to reach into the passenger wheel well to access the filter, and there’s just no graceful way to get this done. If I had cranked the wheel full right after getting the car on the ramps it would have helped a lot, but once she was up there and the oil drained…well, anyway.

Put Bridget up to see about the constant oil drips from what I thought were the valve covers. And here the lift really paid off: from underneath the front of the engine I could see that my driver’s side leak (the one that drips on the catalytic converter and stinks up Planet Earth) was not from the valve cover at all—it was from the cam cover.

IMG_7152 copy

Luckily I happened to have the correct O-ring.

IMG_7154 copy

This was a switch-out that would have been hideous without the lift, but with the lift was a breeze.

While under there I put the wrench to a lot of nuts and bolts—and discovered a lot of loose ones! After seeing some oil on the left frame horn I discovered that several of the nuts holding the transaxle together were easy enough to turn. These are also the nuts that hold my home-made mid-mount transaxle mount to the frame. I tightened them up, and tightened several of the Universal joint bolts that hold my “Wheel O’ Death” vehicle speed sensor onto the car. Turned the motor mount bolts a quarter turn snug too.

IMG_7155 copyIMG_7157 copy

The rest of the day consisted of getting the MAF sensor cleaned out, and dumping some Sea Foam through the Idle Air Control Valve, which my scanner says is problematic. I was going to clean the air filter too but that wasn’t dirty. Checked the transaxle oil level as well and it’s full.

I drove around the block then. The shifter feels unusually right. I am so hoping that tightening up all those nuts and bolts has cured my wandering shift problem–at least for a little while.

 

Advertisements

About stuntmidget

I'm a poor mechanic and general wisenheimer. I love old cars and the stories behind them, true or not.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Using the Four-Post Lift

  1. Tom says:

    Either I’ll drive down to your place, now that I’ve got the extra wind-wing (with 20 quid for rental)…. but I’m also thinking about a 4 block-and-tackle marine lift system.. so very English! LOL!

    Keep up the good work!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s