Fender Stretch

img_7781

Well, I gone and done it: Cut into Bridget’s perfectly good left rear fender. Sliced it lengthwise. Took out a  crescent-shaped chunk.

The idea is to stretch the fenders ever-so-subtly so as to cover the tops of the tires when she’s shod with wire wheels.

Yup: Grabbed me a set of MWS 60-spoke painted wires last spring, modified the hubs to mount them, and put them on. They stick out past the fenders, and so here we are.

img_6972

The amount of stick-out is not all that radical. Some of my TDr colleagues live with this sort of thing, and that’s perfectly sensible. I considered doing so as well.

But Bridget is a bit low. The tires rub the fenders at this stance, and when I looked at the beam adjusters, I realized: she’s already as high as she can go with the diminished spring pack.

The rear torsion bars are even trickier: no adjusting them without pulling the body off the pan. I tried a coil-over but its lowest setting was way too high. And so…IMG_7768.JPGIMG_7780.JPGIMG_7786.JPGIMG_7790.JPGIMG_7796.JPGIMG_7799.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

I’ll be stretching them all like this, with Simpson Strong Ties screwed in temporarily. The glassing-in comes later…maybe not until spring, when the temperature is a bit higher.

 

Advertisements

About stuntmidget

I'm a poor mechanic and general wisenheimer. I love old cars and the stories behind them, true or not.
This entry was posted in Fixes, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s